DC is the place to be in December. The calendar is filled with holiday parties and get-togethers with people you don’t always see during the year. It’s a time to reconnect with family, friends and colleagues.
Whether you’re job searching or looking to maintain a contact, a quick note around the holidays is always appreciated and can set you apart in the mind of a past supervisor or coworker. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Hand-written notes are always best – In just a few minutes, you can make a lasting impression with a hand-written note, making you stand out from the hundreds of emails and e-cards.
- Know your audience – be respectful of all religious beliefs. “Happy Holidays” is always a safe sentiment.
- Keep it short and to the point – A short note to keep your name on their radar is the goal. For a more in depth catch up or to ask for assistance with a recommendation or reference, follow up with a phone call.
- Check names and addresses – DC is a city of constant change. Make sure your supervisor is still at the same organization and location as they were during your internship or job.
- Provide an update – This is a good opportunity to give a few short sentences on any news such as graduate school admissions, a new job or other move.