Written by Lauren Dickinson, Institute on Political Journalism Program Advisor
So, you’re living in DC and looking for some food that’s high on taste and low on cost? Check out these local favorites in the nation’s capital for inexpensive eats that will make your budget and your stomach happy!
If you’re looking for tasty brunch options under $10, head to this Dupont Circle hotspot.
- Potato pancakes with sour cream and apple sauce ($6.50)
- Goat cheese and sun-dried tomato omelet (8.75)
- Pulled pork and cornbread benedict with BBQ hollandaise and home fries ($9.75)
Whether it’s for breakfast or lunch, these mouthwatering and gigantic freshly made bagels are sure to be a crowd-pleaser. Check out locations in Dupont Circle and Bethesda. Pay attention to their daily specials for even cheaper options.
- Jalapeño and Cheddar Cream Cheese Bagel ($2.99)
- Avocado BLT ($5.99)
- Melted Mozzarella, Pesto, and Tomato ($4.99)
Good Stuff Eatery and We the Pizza
These two highly revered eateries are right next to each other on Capitol Hill and are owned by Chef Spike of Bravo’s Top Chef! The burgers and milkshakes at Good Stuff will blow you away with flavor, and We the Pizza’s menu options would make our founding fathers proud.
- Spike’s Sunnyside Burger (Cheese, Bacon, Fried Egg, Good Stuff Sauce) ($6.98)
- Milky Way Malt and Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake ($5.45)
- Buffalo Chicken Pizza- seriously, it’s delicious! ($4/slice)
The lunch specials and mini tea cups at Mad Hatter in Dupont Circle will make you think you’re in Wonderland. A great go-to if you’re in a rush is their $7 power menu. They promise to have you in and out in just 20 minutes! Secret tip: Follow them on twitter @madhatterdc for drink specials.
- Their homemade ranch dressing—you can thank me now.
- The $5 burger (almost always a lunch special)
For the late night munchies in Georgetown, Tuscany Café’s pizza is the way to go! On Friday and Saturday, they’ll deliver until 3:20am.
- Spinach and feta triangles ($6.50)
- Classic pepperoni pizza (Medium pizza: $12.90)
- Pesto pasta ($9.50)