Written by Jennifer Fantin, Recruitment and Admissions Assistant
After a full week of work, weekend brunches are one of the best ways to get together with friends and catch up on all of the latest happenings. The delicious food doesn’t hurt either, and luckily DC plays host to many top brunch spots.
There really are too many mouth-watering options to name, but below are some of the most highly recommended.
Commissary– A casual Logan Circle establishment, located at 1443 P Street NW, the Commissary features a great weekend brunch on Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00am until 4:00pm. Most dishes cost between $5.00 and $12.00, so the large portions are still friendly on the wallet.
- Must-Try Menu Item: Bagel Burger- with a fried egg, bacon, and sun-dried tomato aioli ($10.75).
Mad Hatter– This Alice in Wonderland themed restaurant and bar has been a favorite in the nation’s capital for over 30 years. Located in Dupont Circle, at 1319 Connecticut Avenue, NW, brunch is served on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00am until 3:00pm, and the majority of entrees are priced between $7.00 and $15.00.
- Must-Try Menu Item: Fried Chicken and Waffle ($12.00) and “Make Your Own” Bloody Mary Bar ($5.00).
Daily Grill– With two DC locations, 1200 18th Street, NW near Dupont Circle and 1310 Wisconsin Avenue, NW in Georgetown, the Daily Grill offers a killer weekend brunch with options that will satisfy all diners. One of their delicious meals costs between $10.00 and $15.00, and the Georgetown location even offers a gluten free breakfast menu.
- Must-Try Menu Item: Spanish Scramble- three scrambled eggs with red and green bell peppers, onion, black olives, and tomato, served with sliced avocado, queso fresco and grilled jalapeño peppers ($13.95).
Tunnicliff’s Tavern– Conveniently located in the Capitol Hill neighborhood, a short walk from the Eastern Market metro stop, this is a perfect brunch location to visit before some weekend shopping. 222 7th Street, SE serves up their brunch from 9:00am until 3:00pm with dishes costing anywhere from $8.00 to $15.00.
- Must-Try Menu Item: Breakfast Burrito- scrambled eggs, sausage, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, and diced bell peppers, wrapped in a flour tortilla , and served with home fries ($9.95).
Thunder Burger– This rock and roll inspired restaurant is found at 3056 M Street, NW right in the heart of Georgetown. Their lively décor will definitely enhance your dining experience. Brunch is served from 10:00am until 3:30pm on Saturdays and Sundays with dishes ranging from $10.00 to $15.00.
- Must-Try Menu Item: Crêpe Nutella- nutella, hazelnut praline, and almonds ($12.00).
Busboys and Poets– Intended to be a community gathering place, where cultural differences are embraced and art comes together with politics, this unique restaurant has two Washington, DC locations at 2021 14th St, NW near U Street and 1025 5th Street NW in NoMa. Busboys and Poets has an extensive breakfast menu offering a great variety of classic, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten free options. Brunch is served on Saturdays and Sundays from 9:00am until 3:00pm, and their meals cost anywhere from $6.00 to $13.00.
- Must-Try Menu Item: Western Omelette- ham, onion, mushroom, and cheddar cheese, served with whole-wheat toast and your choice of home fries or grits ($11.00).