Written by Dana Faught, Manager, Recruitment and Admissions
With the semester winding down it’s a struggle to balance academics, work and internships, and applications for future opportunities (jobs, internships, graduate schools, etc.) all while trying to have a social life. Time management is one of the hardest aspects of college to truly master. Here are a few tips to help you find your perfect balance.
- Get Organized – Keep a calendar, make to-do lists (daily, weekly, monthly), use folders to organize your work. You’ll find that by organizing your schedule, you are more in control of your project list.
- Prioritize – Tasks that are unimportant but time consuming can eat up your days very quickly. Prioritizing your tasks will enable you to spend time and energy on the things that are most vital.
- Plan Ahead – Look ahead a few weeks. If you know you have a major exam the same day as an application is due make sure to work on things in advance. Don’t delay and put things off until the last minute.
- Limit Distractions – Block off time to accomplish your big projects, and during this time limit your distractions. Turn off your phone, don’t check your email, and focus solely on the task at hand.
- Don’t Overload – Build time into your schedule for socializing, exercising, and relaxing. You don’t want to burn yourself out! Know how to rearrange your schedule when necessary; manage it, don’t let it manage you.