Written by Jennifer Fantin, Recruitment and Admissions Assistant
Although the thermostat hasn’t shown it this past week, winter is in full swing, and DC is buzzing with great seasonal activities. The nation’s capital comes alive at this time of year, bursting at the seams with spirit and excitement. Embrace the recent warm weather and check out some of these local events to get in a jolly holiday mood.
- Go to the White House to see the National Christmas Tree. Although the lighting ceremony has already taken place, the tree is a beautiful DC display of holiday cheer and is definitely worth seeing.
- Visit the National Zoo in Woodley Park to check out the ZooLights exhibit. This free winter spectacular offers an enormous environmentally friendly light display, which promises fun for those of all ages. 12/14-12/23 and 12/26-12/30
- Spend an afternoon at the US Botanic Garden to see their winter display, “Season’s Greetings”. This free exhibit features model trains, living ornaments, and amazing DC building replicas constructed from plant material. 11/22-1/1
- See A Christmas Carol at Ford’s Theatre. A performance of this holiday classic is sure to have you decking the halls. 11/16-12/30
- Be sure to check out the Downtown Holiday Market to finish up some last minute holiday shopping. This festive open-air “village”, located right off of the red line at Gallery Place, will feature 60 exhibitors each day and boast a wide array of unique gifts, foods, and musical performances. 11/30-12/23
As you can see, the nation’s capital is full of life at this time of the year. Be sure to make the most of these seasonal offerings, and enjoy the rest of 2012!