Written by Jennifer Fantin, Recruitment and Admissions Assistant
Inauguration weekend has finally arrived, and Washington, DC is buzzing. It is safe to say that this weekend will be one of the busiest for the nation’s capital in 2013. The Inauguration weekend events will be exciting without a doubt, and there is no better place to witness them than right here in DC. If you are one of the many who plan to brave the crowds this weekend here are some things to keep in mind:
General City Information
- Public Transportation Changes– WMATA will be running on a modified schedule. Visit their website for complete details.
- Added Security Measures– The city will be under heightened security from Friday through Monday. This includes road closures, screening check points, and a laundry list of prohibited items. Be aware of the regulations on the Secret Service website.
- National Day of Service– On Saturday, January 19 people all over the United States will take part in community service projects to honor the life and accomplishments of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., and a special summit will be held on the National Mall from 9:30am-5:00pm.
- Private Inauguration Ceremony– President-elect Barack Obama will be officially sworn into office for his second term of presidency on Sunday, January 20 by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts. Vice President-elect Joe Biden will also be sworn in on Sunday by Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
- Inauguration Day– On Monday, January 21 the public inauguration ceremony will take place. After the swearing-in at the Capitol building concludes, the celebration will continue with the Inaugural Parade leading to the White House, and the Inaugural Ball that night.
- Inaugural National Prayer Service– The service will take place in the Washington National Cathedral on Tuesday, January 22 at 10:30am. The President and Vice President will be in attendance, along with their families and other invitees of all faiths to share in prayer, religious readings, and musical performances. The event will be webcast live here.
- Weekend Events– Look over this article by CBS for more information on the weekend schedule.
- Celebrity Sightings– Many high profile celebrities from across the country will be traveling to the nation’s capital for the Inauguration. Take a look at this piece by The Hill to find out where some of your favorites will be spending the weekend.