Written by Brent Stevens, Program Advisor for the Engalitcheff Institute on Comparative Political and Economic Systems
If you have ever spoken with a true Washingtonian, the subject of the weather probably came up within the first five minutes of conversation. Washington, DC is incredibly hot and humid during the summer, and you may be wondering what you can do to stay cool despite the stifling heat. There are many ways to beat the thermostat, but the most delicious by far is to grab some ice cream. Try these popular spots:
- Thomas Sweet– If you find yourself in Georgetown, head up Wisconsin Avenue and cool off with a cone of some great tasting ice cream. They will even take your favorite toppings and blend it in with your ice cream of choice.
- Larry’s Homemade Cupcakes & Ice Cream– Located in Dupont Circle, this spot is well known for its delicious, homemade ice cream. If you’re not in the mood for ice cream, you can opt for homemade cupcakes or cookies, which are also phenomenal.
- Dolcezza– This gelateria has two locations. One is just blocks from Thomas Sweet in Georgetown, and the other is located in Dupont Circle. Though not technically ice cream, Dolcezza’s gelato is delicious and hand-made every morning with all natural, local ingredients. The Argentine flair of this local place will add excitement to your sweet treat.
- Burger Tap and Shake– This popular food joint is located in the Foggy Bottom neighborhood. In addition to their delicious burger meals they also offer a variety of tempting and very unique milkshake flavors. Definitely a DC favorite to beat the heat.
- Cone E Island– Also in Foggy Bottom, this ice cream parlor provides all of the classics as well as some less common options. For those who are watching their swimsuit figures, a number of healthier menu items are also available. Stop in and give it a try this summer.
- Something Sweet – This dessert shop is just blocks from the National Cathedral and offers ice cream, cookies, cakes, and other frozen treats that are perfect for those hot summer days.
- Ben & Jerry’s Ice Cream – If you are overheating and need a classic ice cream fix, visit Ben & Jerry’s. With five locations in the city, their large selection of ice cream flavors can definitely cool you down.