Written by Mallie Woodfin, Coordinator – Recruitment and Admissions
Even though holiday music has been playing since Halloween, Christmas is finally just around the corner! If you are spending time in DC over the holidays, we have compiled some of the top activities the city has to offer. Whether skating, shopping or sight-seeing is on your list, we have plenty of suggestions for you!
Explore Winter Wonderlands:
- Take a stroll to The Ellipse near The White House to see the National Christmas Tree – Tickets are not required and there will be musical performances in the evenings throughout December.
- Walk up The National Mall to the West Lawn of the Capitol to see the Capitol Christmas Tree.
- Over 230,000 wreaths were laid at Arlington National Cemetery on December 13th. If you have never visited the cemetery before, now is a great time. The wreaths will be there for approximately three more weeks.
Activities around the City:
- Spend an evening walking amongst the animals and admiring thousands of twinkling lights at the Smithsonian’s ZooLights. There are nightly performances and refreshments for people of all ages to enjoy.
- Have some fun on the ice! Skate around the sculptures at the Sculpture Garden or take in Potomac views at the Georgetown Harbor rink. If your skills need a little work, both rinks offer lessons.
- If the performing arts is more your style, The Washington Ballet is performing the Nutcracker ballet at the Warner Theater until December 28th.
Check off your Shopping List:
- There is a Holiday Market open daily in downtown DC. With over 150 vendors selling jewelry, art, clothing and many more items, you are sure to find something! If you are looking for an alternative outdoor shopping experience, head to Eastern Market for more vendors or to the Georgetown area for more standard stores.
- Still need to purchase the official 2014 White House ornament? The White House has a gift shop where official merchandise is available for purchase.
- If you still haven’t found the perfect gift, there are the malls. The most popular are Pentagon City, Chevy Chase and Ballston Common.
Have a safe and happy holiday season!